How to make Banh xeo (Vietnamese pancake)Ingredients
400g rice flour (=14oz)
2tsp turmeric powder
500ml water (=2 ¼ cup)
250ml beer (or coconut milk) = 1 cup
3 stalk spring onion, chopped (=1/3 cup)
300g pork belly
Salt & pepper
Mix the batter:
-Mix 400g rice flour and 2 tsp turmeric powder (or 1 package Banh xeo flour) with 1 tsp salt and 500ml water. Stir until well combined.
-Add 250ml beer( or coconut milk). Stir well again.
-Add chopped onion and let the batter rest for 30 mins.
Prepare the pork and shrimps:
-You can either peel and devein the shrimps, or just trim off the tips and the legs.
- Cut the pork belly into thin slices
- Season with salt and pepper, ½ tsp each.
- Mix well and set aside for 15 mins
Make the pancake:
-Heat a pan on medium high heat, grease with some vegetable oil
-Add 2 shrimps and a few pork slices and sautee both sides until the shrimp and pork change color.
-Ladle some batter and tilt the pan in a circular motion to spread the batter evenly.
-Cover and cook for 1 min.
-Add some beansprouts, cover and cook for another 1 min
-Fold the pancake into half so that the 2 shrimps stay on opposite quarter.
- Cook for another 1 min and transfer to a plate.
-Continue until you finish the batter. If you can manage 2-3 pans at a time, it’s faster.
- Serve with a lot of fresh mustard leaves, lettuce leaves, cucumber and herbs (mint, perilla, cilantro etc.) and light dipping fish sauce.
-To serve, you cut the pancake into halves, take a whole piece of lettuce, top with some herbs and wrap the pancake inside, and dip with the sauce..
How to make dipping sauce
- Basic fish sauce
- "Tuong" sauce (Da Nang style)
Other tips to make crispy banh xeo crepes:
- Use a good frying pan with thick/heavy bottom, especially cast-iron pan
- Use more cooking oil (2-3 tbsp) for each crepe
- Use less coconut milk (or not at all) in the batter
- Fry 2 times: 1st time only make the crepes until you finish the batter. 2nd time you fry the crepes again and add bean sprouts.
|Khi ăn cuốn trong lá cải /xà lách/ bánh tráng với rau sống , dưa leo, đu đủ chua, chuối chát khế….và nước mắm chua ngọt..
Cách pha nước chấm:
- Pha nước mắm cơ bản
- Làm nước tương kiểu Đà Nẵng
Cách làm bánh xèo thêm giòn:
- Dùng chảo đáy dày, chảo gang càng tốt.
- Đổ bánh với nhiều dầu (2-3 ms)
- Hạn chế dùng nước cốt dừa trong bánh
- Chiên bánh 2 lần: lần 1 chỉ đổ cốt bánh. Khi đổ hết bột thì quay lại chiên bánh lần 2 và thêm giá.
Recipe, video, and photos by Helen Le